Thursday, May 29, 2008

Random Post

Long time, no write. Sorry folks. I have survived the Cicada invasion so far. I've had a handful of these creatures around my walkways and doorsteps but I haven't encountered the mass swarms buzzing around my head that I had previously concocted in my imagination. I still have all of my appendages and the cats have not had the opportunity to eat such a large and ugly insect. However, I did hear the creepy noise that they make just this past Monday. Remember those really bad late 60s sci-fi movies and the sound effect that the 'flying saucer' made? They sound just like that. Really weird. I will say that it has been a jovial topic of conversation at work. I'm still awaiting the grand finale of this bizarre mating season. It's not over yet I'm sure.

Good news: I got a B in my Anatomy and Physiology class!! Yea me!!! I knew I was doing pretty well, but not that well! Hey! I actually have a brain after all!! Hopefully I can keep it intact over the next couple of months before fall starts up again. I'll try my best not to kill too many of my brain cells in the meantime.
Other stuff. Sad to hear about all these monstrous storms and tornadoes out in the 'alley'. I know from experience how terrifying it can be. I sure as hell don't miss those days in Arkansas. When I was like two maybe three, we had six tornadoes in one day. The one that hit that night was the most destroying. It blew out some windows in our house, tore some shingles off and left alot of debris and baseball sized hail. Yes, baseball sized hail. Scary. Needless to say, I was terrified of storms for a long, long time. I still to this day get a little panicky when our storms get a little on the heavy side. But being here in the mountains that's a rarity thank God. Now, on the flip side I have seen some awesome photos on the internet of these storms building. I think the pictures are beautiful in a tragic sort of way. I don't know how to describe it without going into some sort of soliloquy to which I will spare you. I think Mother Nature is just astounding. Truly amazing. If I'm lucky I'll be able to post some of the pics I've seen.


Other stuff: I'm trying my best to quit smoking. I've been taking the Chantix which has been really cool. Most days I do pretty good. Right now, not so good. I did really well at work but now that I'm home it's free range. And for the most part it's the habit. I'm not really physically craving one, I just want it. I soo enjoy it still. That's the sad part. It's a wonderfully satisfying bad habit. Damn those tabacco companies. But it's a must. It's time to stop procrastinating, plus I'm having some oral surgery to remove what's belived to be an ossified fibroma from my gum line that I've had since childhood. My dentist always thought it was a calcium deposit of which is common but it's continued to grow as I've gotten older and has gotten bigger over the last couple of years. I had a more proper diagnosis yesterday with an oral surgeon. Time to chip away before it gets worse. Yuk. The healing process will go alot quicker if I was a non-smoker. This is something I really need to focus on and truly kick the habit. Plus save some money which of course will go to gas. (I'm leaving that topic alone.) This is my first effort ever. I think I'm doing pretty good for a first timer. If I could find a nice pair of man lips to plant my lips on instead of a cigarrette I think that would be just dandy. Wish me luck in that department.
On last thing: Look up 'an engineer's guide to cat's ' on youtube for a good laugh. This dude is so dry that you can't help but laugh. And the cat's did exactly what a cat should do. Act uninterested when the human owner is trying to be productive. Truly worth the six minutes of watching.
Anyway, that's about it folks. Hope all is well in your corner's of the world! elizinashe



3 comments:

Bernie said...

Congrats on the grades!

We had those 17-year cicadas a couple of years ago. No swarms, just that persistant, annoying sound. I was glad when it ended.

By the way, my June trip isn't happening, but I'm hoping to be passing your way in November. Maybe we can have that coffee. Lee said she would send you my email address.

Best wishes on the smoking ... and the man. :)

Elisa said...

I am glad to hear that you have survived te cicada invasion and wern't taken away by them in the night. I am so proud of you for trying to quit smoking...it is the hardest thing to do in the world. But it does get easier with time. I am also so proud of your A&P grade...you have an awesome brain that you can now believe is functioning quite well. I love and miss you sooo much!
xo ~ E

elizinashe said...

Bernie- thanks for the cheers. I'll be looking to catching up with you in November. No cicada's that month!

Elisa- girl, I just love ya! I'll be seeing you in my dreams... :)