Friday, December 3, 2010

A New Decade

Today is my birthday.  Woo hoo yea me!  And so begins a whole new decade of self-discovery.  As a good friend had put it, I am celebrating the 10th anniversary of turning 30.  hee-hee.  Clever, eh?

The whole 'turning 40' thing really hasn't bothered me.  I don't even feel 40 nor do I look like it.  When I realized months ago that I really was going to be 40, I thought about organizing, planning and throwing myself a party like so many others have as well as some of my other girlfriends have done, but my forte is not planning ahead nor being organized.  I really didn't want to spend my evening mingling around to entertain my guests nor did I want to bar hop all night doing shots everywhere I went with a bunch of other women.  I do not need to prove my age nor do I need to prove myself of anything to the young 20-somethings that do go out and bar hop doing shots everywhere they go. Besides, the most important people that I wanted to spend my birthday with all live out of state across the country.  Trying to get people to fly in for a birthday would require a lot of planning and money especially since my birthday falls betwix holidays.  But I have had the satisfaction that all my peeps from across the map have called, sent cards & emails and messages which makes me feel just as loved as if they were here in person. 

I have spent my birthday recovering from an outpatient surgery that I had done yesterday and having a new set of tires put on the car.  Sounds stimulating I know but to me it's just been another day.  It just happens to be my birthday.  The last 3 days have been quite lovely to be honest. I met my mother Wednesday evening for a pre-birthday dinner.  We went and had some indian food and then came back to my place for the night.  (She spent the night with me since I was not allowed to drive on the day of my surgery.)  One of her friends sent me a birthday gift basket filled with tea, fuzzy socks, a variety of homemade tartlets, and some lavender to make sachets from the seeds.  What an angel she is!  So far I have had 4 cups of herbal tea and 3 tartlets:  one blueberry, one apple and tonight was cranberry.  I have one more left but I do not know yet what flavor it will be.  I have yet to peek. 

I truly can't complain about my birthday.  Yes, I thought about having a big 'throw down' and taking a bunch of drunk pictures but to be honest I've had a much better time keeping this birthday on the 'down-low'.  This week has truly been a very busy one so having the quiet time for me has been fabulous.  I'd rather have small 'throw downs' with my friends who live across the country and celebrate in small ways than have one big meaningless hoo-ha.  And having that time with my mom was pretty cool, too.  I am truly blessed and loved and that's all I really wanted for my birthday.  So here's to another decade of self-discovery and lessons learned.  Let's all enjoy the ride.  elizinashe

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Awesome post! Chronologically I'm a little ahead of you :) but any time I think my insight is ahead, I just have to read something like this. I'll keep some of these ideas in mind during my next few birthdays.