Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Odds & Ends

Today has been the coldest day of the year. It didn't reach above 27 degrees for our high and the wind chill has been in the single digits. Brrr.....It's supposed so be a bit warmer tomorrow and back into the 50s by the weekend. That's good news to my ears if you ask me.

My dad sends me newspaper clippings from my hometown paper at least once a week. It gives him something to do I guess. Most of them involve pet stories such as the local pet photo contest contestants and winners, the pet of the week up for adoption and random shots of people with their dogs at the park. He also sends me themed stuff. This month has been Christmas lights and displays around the area and such. Halloween was rather fun it seemed. Lots of haunted houses and creepy costumes. Sometimes he sends the gossip of the week politic wise. Lately, our mayor, who is a member of our church, recently had an altercation at a town meeting with a resident who got out of hand and punched our mayor in the face. (dumbass.) The court hearing made the paper which my father sent me. I really have no interest in reading all the details but I will happily accept it. One of these days I won't be receiving these little annoyances from my hometown newspaper.

School starts back up on Monday. Yikes! How did the time pass so quickly? My house is still not in order despite the three week break. I just can't get myself organized. As long as I can vacuum again and keep up with the laundry I can function fairly well. I already bought extra notebooks before the semester ended and should have plenty of ancillary supplies on hand. I have an extra book to pick up plus a payment for an on-line tutorial. Other than that, I guess I'm somewhat prepared. Our first day back is apparently an orientation from 730am until 4pm that day. Ugh! I have no idea what to bring or what to prepare for other than a giant thermos of coffee and my water jug. Not looking forward to long, first day back.

Christmas was good although it still makes me feel blue at times. It was good to spend time with my mom and her friends and share a big feast. Even though that angry little head of mine begins to sprout I am always glad to have my time with her. One of her friends gave me a generous gift card for Christmas and as a 'Congratulations' on surviving my first semester of nursing school. That gift card went on to buy a new down coat, on sale of course, for the bitter cold. My old jacket had become too old plus it was too small to begin with so I now have a proper fitting deep lagoon colored down coat to start off my new year. Gotta love those after Christmas sales.

We have all heard that things happen in 'threes'. Well, my 'threes' are beginning. Last week I had my manifold and a valve cover gasket set replaced. Ouch. In the process it was discovered that my O-rings were crapped out so I'm having those replaced in the morning. Oh well. It's cheaper than a new car that's for damn sure. I'm afraid to see how much this will cost me in the end. I'm still waiting on the 'three'. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday so keep your fingers crossed. I can't have my health be the third. Whatever it is it better be manageable.

So there it is folks in a nutshell. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to post before the semester takes over my life. Wish me luck! I will need it. elizinashe

No comments: