Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Music

Yep, This is Mine....
I love music.  I pretty much grew up with it as a kid.  My mother taught piano lessons in the afternoon to school aged kids, plus she played herself so I always had that influence.  I don't remember listening to much rock n roll as they say because my parents didn't play the radio that much.  I do remember listening to John Denver, Willie Nelson and some classical stuff.  Unfortunately, I had suffered through Handel's "The Messiah" twice as a kid.  Ugh...not my style of music not to mention it's a three hour gig of people singing stuff that makes your ears hurt.  At least that is my memory of it.  Never again.  

As I got older, I started to listen to the radio more.  We had a really cool rock station.  KISR it was...I could do without the morning talk, but the music back then was pretty cool.  I remember calling in for requests at a very young age.  My two favorites were The Eagles "Hotel California" and ABBA's "Dancing Queen".  Quite a bit of variety for a 6-7 year old don't ya think? 

Then MTV happened.  Wow...now that was amazing!  All these weird videos and "alternative" English bands.  I was hooked.  I wasn't much of a metal head as they say.  I liked the weird groups.  And the hair.  Oh geeze...the hair was big and the makeup outlandish.  I loved it.  Instead of buying clothes and shoes with my allowance, to which I did on occasion, I bought a new tape.  Yes folks, we're talking about the good old days of cassette tapes.  Who cares about clothes?  I needed music!  And then I moved on to CDs.  And lots of them.  I can't even begin to tell you how many I have.  All I know is that I had tons of them during my move.  And I love each and every one.  I will spare you all the different types of genres I have..but..let's just say it's pretty diverse.  
Loved REM!


High school was heavily influenced by REM and The Cure, to which my parents didn't understand why some man would have unkempt black hair and smeared red lipstick.  But that was a good schitck to make the band noticeable.  REM was a great "college band" that wrote good music and seemed to connect with the collage age crowd.  Road trips always included REM's "Life's Rich Pageant" and The Cure's "Standing on the Beach".  I feel like both of those albums really captured the essence of each band and I knew each song by heart.  And I still do.  Once I went the CD way, those were one of the first two I bought.  Good stuff. 
Oh Robert Smith..how I love Thee...


Nowadays, it's all about "downloading" and iTunes.  I've got to say, I'm pretty proud of myself for not buying/downloading shit tons of music on my music list.  I even stopped buying so many CDs long before the internet way which is a good thing.  It's taken a lot of self control, but really...how much music do I really need?  However, my "to buy" list is always a mile long and constantly growing.  It's just a matter of buying a couple of songs here and there...otherwise, I know I would spend way too much money and way too much time, downloading everything that catches my ear.  But I suppose music is a good thing right?  Who needs new shoes anyway?  elizinashe
Dave is My Man These Days.   Love Him!

No comments: