Saturday, August 13, 2016

218 South Grand

Small But Mighty
My dad recently went to his high school reunion in Kansas where he grew up.  The house that grew up in along with his siblings, the house that seemed so big and curious is apparently on the market.  For a mere $119K and some change.  That may  not be too pricey considering housing these days and for the small town it resides but you sure are getting a real gem.  

I never knew my grandfather as he passed away when I was about two years old.  I really have no memory of him.  But I remember my grandmother quite well.  After a long, long journey from Arkansas into Oklahoma and into Kansas, we would finally arrive on the front porch with steps that seemed quiet large to a kid.  And my grandmother always had brownies made from scratch with powdered sugar on top and sugar cookies too in a 1940s like canister.  She didn't change or update that much.  Even with the decor but at least she was consistent.  haha..

I remember the wood inside the house being a lovely redish color, slick and shiny.  The stairs to the second floor were really slick!  So much as you really had to be careful going up and down and not too fast!  We had all tripped and fallen at some point in our many visits.  And those stairs were pretty sturdy and steep themselves!  

There was a closet upstairs that was a 'walk in' type but it also joined two rooms which was super cool for us kids.  It was like a secret room of it's own.  Lots of imagination in our play.  

It's so cool to see this old place again.  My grandmother passed away many years ago and the house was sold before she passed as she had moved to an assisted living close to her daughter before she got too sick.  My grandmother lived alone in that house the whole time I grew up.  And she was perfectly happy with that.  I don't know who bought it or how many times it has been bought/sold since.  Apparently my grandfather paid $2500 for the home back in the 1930s.  Can you believe that?  That's one helluva investment. 

I like seeing the pictures of all the rooms from the listing and I know exactly where each room is and how it's all laid out.  I see quite a few updates, including part of the wall in the dining room has been knocked out to make more room entering the kitchen.  Interesting.  And needed.  Regardless, it's good to see the place again.  I have great memories visiting my grandmother in that house.  Including sitting on the screened in back porch and making homemade ice cream.  Can't get much better than that.  

Take a gander and see for yourself if you wish.  It was a good place to be.    Cheers-elizinashe

http://www.trulia.com/property/3146809374-218-S-Grand-St-McPherson-KS-67460#photo-22 


No comments: