Sunday, October 22, 2017

Click to Send

😞 I Don't Feel Good 😞
So I got the crud.  I first thought it was just a head cold, but as time went on, I knew better.  Ugh.  I hate being sick.  It sucks.  Especially when you live alone.  Although my neighbor and another friend offered to bring me stuff if I needed anything.  Fortunately, I had enough creatures of comfort already here so I was good in that department. 

Being that it is a Sunday, my only choice to be seen by a doctor was either the Emergency Room (hell no!) or one of those "walk in " clinics.  One of those clinics is really close to where I currently live.  (Score!)  I went on-line to see what time they opened since I did wake up rather early for a night shifter.  And much to my surprise, I could book my appointment on-line, give them a few particulars about my symptoms, arrive slightly before my chosen time for paperwork stuff and then be seen by the practitioner.  Weird.  But not weird, given today's modern technology and more "face time" with MDs trying to reach out to rural areas and Emergency Departments.  Yep...it's happening.

We book hotel rooms on-line, buy airplane tickets on-line, and reserve cars on-line.  We Uber, Lyft, Match, Amazon, Netflix, Wal-Mart, complete educational degrees and now book medical appointments on-line.  Is it convenient?  Sure...especially in my particular situation for today.  Question is, how far will this "on-line" stuff go?  Will we become so dependent on on-line services that people will lose more jobs to a computer?  Will we become so dependent on technology that we will become numb to human emotion and interaction?  We could debate about this for eons, but I leave it simple.  And what about those who do not have access to a computer? Or have a smart phone?  What happens to them?  

I was happy that I was able to book my own appointment on short notice and be seen by a practitioner.  And sure enough, I had an infection.  The NP spent plenty of time with me and I didn't feel like I was rushed in and out.  I received a thorough exam for the symptoms, and my prescription was sent electronically to a drug store near by.  The wait time was cut in half compared to the "old days".  I was home by noon with meds in hand and a long nap soon followed.  I really can't complain about that.  But again...still makes me think, how far will this "on-line" stuff go?  Just a thought.  Until next time...elizinashe
😉 Click to Confirm 😉

No comments: