Monday, November 19, 2007

Pulling the All-Nighter


It's been a long time since I've stayed up all night with little rest. I wish I could say it's from travel or having a really long girls night but this time it's work related. Things on the unit are a little intense and staffing has become an issue. Due to a lack of insight and bad communication from our charge nurse today, I left the unit around 730 this evening after being here 12 hours already only to come back at 11 tonight so I can monitor a patient all night long. Yes folks, these things happen and I will be running on adrenaline and caffeine for most of the shift. Good thing is that I am working with a really good nurse tonight and we will have one other staff member in our presence so we should be able to trade off duties and look out for each other. And if things get "emergent" I know that I have some solid staff members to work with. These things don't happen very often, but they do happen. Good thing is that I was able to take a nice, hot shower at home, change my clothes from the business-casual khaki pants into a tried-and true pair of blue jeans and a sweater. Comfort clothes.(yum.) If I'm going to be up all night then I am for sure going to be comfortable. I don't think I could have worn those work clothes for another 8 hours...no way man, not this girl. And the bonus will be the hard-core solid sleep once I do get home Monday morning when most people are just starting their day. It's been a totally different lifestyle working here at the hospital but I kinda like it. I think I'll stick with it for a while even if I do work really weird hours. elizinashe

No comments: