Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Stupid has been my choice word for the day. People can be so freakin' ignorant and elected leaders are even worse. Right before hurricane Ike hit the gulf area, our gas stations had begun running out of gas due to our main supply is sent from the gulf coast. I had gased up before class the Wed before it hit and again 'topped off' my tank Thursday mid-day so that I could survive into next week being that the expectations many gas stations being out would be a reality. So the hurricane made landfall on the 12th/13th if I remember correctly. Monday night after class I put more gas in my car since many gas stations around my house were 'out'. I paid $4.19 per gallon. Ouch! There had been some serious price gouging on in the area. There had been some reports of even $5 a gallon. Can you believe it?? In the meantime, many of gas stations have been out. Those who do have gas only had x-amount of gas delivered and with all the panic of people waiting up to four hours to fill up their precious vehicles and gas cans, those gas stations run out in a short few hours. There are websites up telling who has gas and who doesn't, who is expecting a delivery, traffic backing up in the driving lanes for those who are in line for gas, people fighting in the parking lots over gas, police officers directing traffic, schools are cancelling classes so buses don't have to run, (hell, my classes were cancelled today!) and city/county government offices will be closed on Friday in order to conserve gas. We finally had a state leader come to town to address the issues and making some statements that gas will be trucked in from elsewhere until the pipeline is running back to its normal capacity. (Need I remind you that Ike ended up being a catagory 3 and didn't do much damage to the refineries as expected. ) I'm getting to the point where I need gas again but it seems like such a fucking pain in the ass to sit in line for an hour or more, wasting what gas I have just to get more. I understand that our source of fuel comes from an area that is prone to hurricanes. However, it didn't take this long when Katrina hit and most certainly our fine, elected leaders can step in and find other refineries along the east coast, midwest and up north that can help with our supply. This is nothing but stupid. There have been reports of people waiting in line before the gas station opens up if they know they have gas. STUPID!!!
There are more and more gas stations that are getting their supplies now. There were two close to my house that had gotten an afternoon delivery however traffic was backed up for blocks and quickly getting longer. I didn't have time to wait for the hour it would have taken me. By the time I even catch wind that so-and-so has gas, they're out by the time I'm off work or out of class. Geeze, is this ever so stupid. I'm working a night shift tonight so I hope that I can score some petrol on my way home and be one of those stupid early birds waiting in line while the station opens up for business. Yes, I know there was a gas crisis in the 70s but this is really stupid given the day and age. It is beyond stupid and it needs to stop. elizinashe

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I don't understand this crisis at all. It feels like a made-up crisis to justify inflated pricing.

I did see shortages and long lines in Mississippi and Alabama a few days after Katrina when I went to "rescue" my sister from New Orleans; but those shortages were due in part to evacuees temporarily living there and people heading back into Louisiana to help.

I remember the gas lines, etc. in the 70s - long lines, stations closed on Sundays, rationing, fillups based on odd and even number days corresponding to the last number on your license plate. Hope those days don't ever return.

elizinashe said...

This whole crisis was just plain stupid. That's all I can really say about it. If I had the money I would totally look into a hybrid car. Gas will continue to be an issue...I refuse to give in to pricing wars. It's about over now but it doesn't take away the stupidity of the whole situation. It will happen again, hopefully not too soon! Thanks for checking in!
Still planning on a trip to our gas thirsty town? :)