Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snowy Adventures

I woke up Monday morning to about 8 inches of snow in my yard with more snow to continue throughout the day and possibly into Tuesday depending how long this winter storm was to linger. The weathermen had predicted this storm to come through early enough which allowed time to prepare and slam the grocery stores along with every other idiot. I was especially grateful that I was not scheduled to go back to work until Thursday of this week which meant I didn't have to go in early for my shift nor did I have to sleep on the unit when they called a mandatory code for staff to stay. Woo-hoo!

After a nice sleep I got my priorities in order and began some household duties, grocery store items, gas in the car and ice melt on my porch. I was ready. Once Monday came around all I had to do was shower, get dressed and relax. Some people like to go out & play after a big snow and build a snowman. Others drive up the mountain to do some skiing and snowboarding. Brave ones go out & drive around town looking for open restaurants & bars. For me, I just like to hang out at home and play around in my tiny little kitchen cooking up warm, comfort foods and enjoy a really nice meal. (paired with a glass of wine of course.)

So far I've had tomato-zucchini soup (which actually came from Whole Foods) with a turkey sandwich, leftover curry which I did make and last night's fare was a salmon pinwheel with asparagus and some risotto. Tonight is a new recipe to test which I'm pretty excited about. Laugh all you want. Testing out something new in my kitchen has always brought me joy. Yes, I'm a foodie but in a good way. I've got a pot of Lentil Chili simmering away on my little stove and the aroma is warm and comforting in this little house. Can't wait until it's done. Tomorrow will be some good old-fashioned Jambalaya. I already cooked up the anduille yesterday so I'm one step ahead. Yes, I could have made my own snowman in my yard but spending time in my neglected little kitchen has given me more happiness than being outside in the freezing cold. And the beauty of all this cooking is the leftovers which I will happily take to work this weekend and enjoy my self-induced cooking slavery over the last 3 days. I might not be so lucky to be at home for the next snow storm so I plan on enjoying every creation that comes out of my kitchen. Bon Appetite! elizinashe

1 comment:

Lee said...

That all sounded yummy! Glad you got to enjoy your snow days. I know the past few times you've been stuck at work which sucks!