Monday, December 5, 2016

Goodbye 2016

What Happened to You 2016?
This past year has been one helluva ride.  I've never seen such a horrible, ugly year in my life.  And yet, 2016 had such promise....what a let down.  But instead of talking about what a hateful, violent and mean spirited year that 2016 brought, I'd rather focus on the good things.  

This past year certainly had it's ups and downs for me both personally and financially.  But I choose to celebrate all things good that did happen for me in my little corner of the world.  

New Year's Day weekend started off with dear friends coming to visit with their son.  New Year's Day night, if that makes sense, was spent at a local restaurant where I ordered the typical southern black eyed peas & ham with collard greens for "good luck".  Good stuff folks!  And my time with my friends was special and refreshing.  Couldn't think of a better way to begin my New Year. 

I have been to a couple of gatherings with co-workers, had a picnic at the Biltmore Estate,  three cookouts, a few dinners with my neighbor, a Dave Matthews Band concert with my girl friends, a trip out to the DC area to visit yet another pair of dear friends, went to two symphonies, created a silly birthday card for a co-worker for her birthday while we were all at work, found a new "go to" fave in the crock pot, took lots of silly pictures and got some painting done in the house before a big project arrives.  Sounds like a lot, eh?  But there were many, many nights where my butt was parked on the couch too.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Today has been cool, rainy and lazy.  I've spent the day getting Christmas packages ready to mail, finished up some Christmas cards, made the said new "go to" in the crock pot, spontaneously had my neighbor over for dinner and made some spinach dip for a girly thing tomorrow.  It was a perfect day to do so and I've  enjoyed every moment of it.  It's the little things, no?  

So instead of "building walls" to keep out the riff-raff and close off borders,  I chose to build shelves.  I want more shelves in my life so I may fill them up with all the little things that make me happy and color my world.  I want my shelves to be over flowing with the nic-nacks of life that remind me of happier times and good friends.  Forget a wall...it does nothing but block out the light.  Why would you want that?  That's not living happy, and I chose to live happy if not happier.  Don't you?  

So Goodbye 2016...you sure were a doozy and I am so ready for you to be over.  I hope 2017 brings  more fun times and dear people into my world despite what the world brings.  It's the little things is it not?  Until next time....elizinashe
What Do You Want On Your Shelf? 

No comments: