Saturday, December 3, 2016

You've Come a Long Way Baby

I've Always Loved This One
My mom gave me yet another box of stuff that I had squirreled away at her place many years ago when I moved into a tiny studio apartment while I was "rebooting" my life and could not take all of my belongings that I had in my previous two bedroom digs.  

It was mostly stupid stuff that I really don't need, but what I did find was a simple reminder of how far I have come on my journey in moving to an area that I had always wanted to live and begin anew.  

I found an old check registry that I had when I paid off my final bills in Arkansas and moved to Asheville with very little cash in the bank.  My two bedroom apartment in Arkansas was only $365 a month. What a dream...My first one bedroom apartment in Asheville was $530 a month.  That's quite a hike in cost of living, but I had expected that and had already prepared for the increase.   After paying deposits and rent along with food, hooking up the electric and a phone in my new digs, I had $3300 to my name.  No job, one apartment and two cats.  I knew two people in town and that's it.  What was I thinking? 

Looking back now, I don't know how I really did it.  Now that I am older, I realize that you really do need quite a bit of cash when it comes to moving.  Especially if you're moving across the state.  Nine hundred fifty plus miles to be exact.  It was two days of driving, with two cats in their carriers.  There were lots of cigarettes and music in the car and caffeine.  Can't forget the caffeine.  

I had a lot of naivete back then and a whole lot of Faith.  I was absolutely clueless as to what it really took to make such a big move and take such a big risk, but I did it.  And I am so glad I took that leap of Faith.  It was one of the hardest and scariest things I have ever done independently but it was also the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I'm a lot older and wiser these days.  I still have a bit of that naivete I guess, but I'm a lot better at it.  

So when it doubt folks, listen to your heart and take the leap.  You might end up on a bumpy road for a while, but in the end, you just might be glad you took that first step.  Until next time....elizinashe
Who's Ready for a Walk?

No comments: