Friday, October 2, 2009

Music Again


I just recently bought U2's The Joshua Tree again. I had it previously on a tape and lost it a long time ago between many moves. I was listening to the radio not too long ago and the song 'One Tree Hill' came across the airwaves and I was motivated to add that song to my never ending list of tunes to have in my collection. I had gone on a Googling adventure and found the original album that it stemmed from. Remembering the album fondly I had to pick up the album again this time on cd. Man is it ever a great record. I had mentioned in my previous post about another song from this album leaving an impression on me but the record as a whole is just phenomenal. Or so I think. So many great songs that was left with little recognition. 'Running to Stand Still', 'Trip Through Your Wires' and the already mentioned 'One Tree Hill'. Although U2 is an indescribable band and have produced many more albums since that time, I don't think they have made an album that has had such a huge impact such as The Joshua Tree. I'm not trying to knock down any of their albums, they have made many,many great albums some of which I own. I think U2 is fantastic & I love their music but listening to this album has a lot of roots to their influence musically. Perhaps it was just the era that this album was released that made it such an impressionable record but for me it has stood the test of time. I think if it had been just released this week it would still be a hit. This is definitely one album that every person should have at home. Correct me if I'm wrong. elizinashe

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I have 3 of their CDs but not this one. Based on your glowing review, it'll get ordered tonight! Their sound is unique and does not have music cues that trap them in any particular era, so their music feels timeless. Their themes run from love to politics ... universal ideas that fuel the timelessness.

Lee said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE This CD! I remember sitting in my apartment in LR listening to the radio so I could call in and try to win tickets to the concert in Dallas...never won...but Brad has promised me that we will go see them wherever they get close to us.