Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Music

Anyone who really knows me knows that music is a big part of my life. I love music! Turning on the pute to shuffle some tunes is the 2nd thing I do once I get out of bed. (the first being making coffee.) When I was without my computer, which holds the majority of my music collection, I was really sad. My stereo had broken many moons ago and I had made use of my little laptop loading it up with my piles of cds. I was forced to use a sad substitute of a stereo via a single cd/radio player with lousy speakers, however it worked for the time being.
My point is that although I have many favorite songs and artists there are a few songs that always makes me sing regardless of my mood or where I am when I hear a particular song. I can be in the car, at home or out in public but some songs always makes me sing along for whatever reason. Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes it's the harmonies. Regardless of the reason, the inspiration to sing along never bothers me.
One such song is U2's 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. I love that song. The lyrics just draw me into the story. The guitar is soul provoking. There is a steady flow of music that just finds it's way into my body and soul. Maybe I can relate to it a little too much, I don't know. I haven't really psychoanalyzed that part of myself in relation to the song. All I know is that I can't help singing along with Bono and picturing The Edge picking at his guitar. What is it about a song that moves us so much? What songs make you sing out loud regardless of where you are? What songs really move you?
I have many more songs that I could talk about but I will leave this post short and stop with U2. It's a great song both musically & lyrically. It's one song that I will never tire of listening and that says alot I think. elizinashe

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Many songs move me in many ways, to laughter, to tears, to sing along, to dance (not a pretty sight). My “short” list, in no particular order:
Tim McGraw’s “Live Like You Were Dying”
Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”
Alabama’s “Angels Among Us”
Garth Brooks’ “The Dance”
any version of “Stormy Monday”
Robert Randolph’s “Ain’t Nothing Wrong With It”
Kathy Mattea’s “How Can I Help You Say Goodbye”
And yes, not just because you said it in your post,
U2’s “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”

What would we do without music?!

elizinashe said...

no joke! I'll be the judge of the dancing thing. that is going down on the list of 'must do's '. get your boogie shoes ready!

Bernie said...

Ha! We'll see if I can live up to the last part of my new favorite quote: "Live like there's no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt, AND DANCE LIKE NO ONE'S WATCHING"
Wine will have to be involved.