Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Sweet Potato Project


A few days before I left for vacation I went to the grocery store to pick up a few items to get me through the weekend without overbuying and coming home to a fridge full of molded and spoiled food. I always try to buy what I need and keep on track of buying healthy items. I have discovered sweet potato fries which are really yummy but I truly need to stay away from the fried crap. Bad, bad, bad. However I got to thinking that I could really dress up a sweet potato with some olive oil, garlic and other spices that remain dormant in my kitchen cabinet. Sounded like a really good & healthy option for meal planning. But alas, when it came time to leave town I still hadn't eaten my sweet potato as planned and hated the idea of throwing it out. So I wrapped it in tin foil thinking that it would keep better and would not invite little gnats to call it home while I was away.
When I returned a week later a tiny little bud had started to sprout out of the tin foil. I found it comical and just basically left it. I had to quickly jump back into the work schedule so my main priority was laundry and getting back to a working mentality. A couple of days passed and the little bud had seemed to grow. Hmm...again I didn't pay much attention to the whole process. I mostly procrastinated about throwing it out since I had long passed the urge to actually eat the damn thing. Work came & went as well as the occasional cleaning projects, time with friends and ignoring the potato itself. Now 3 1/2 weeks later the little bud continues to grow right out of the foil. It now measures about 2 1/2 inches now. Wow!! So now I am completely fascinated by my little sweet potato. I am curious as to how long this reddish/purplish bud will grow out of the foil. I think I'll keep it around just a bit longer. Now if I give it a name then I'm really in for trouble. elizinashe

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Go ahead and give it a name!! Something with alliteration - Sammy Sweet Potato. Do you have a yard? Plant him or her. See what happens. :)

elizinashe said...

I'll work on a clever name while I'm at work this weekend.

Linda V. said...

Hi!
If you have a garden, quarter the sweet potato, around the little buds (I'm pretty sure there are more lurking under the foil) and plant them. If you are in a warmer area, you'll wind up with a lot of little sweet potatoes! Have a great time with this, its fun to grow things!
Linda

Bernie said...

on a side note ...
eliz, Linda is the friend I'm sending your book to.
Linda, eliz is the friend who had the cool idea to track the travelling book.