Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cheap Treasures


In my quest to find that perfect piece of new-slash-slightly used office desk I went to the Habitat for Humanity Home Store in hopes of finding what I want and to satisfy my urge to redecorate. I did not find that desk but on my way out I did find a unique little painting. It was signed on the back with the simple title of Mystery painted by Mila. The year was not stamped but the back of the canvas tells me it's probably 15-20 years old, maybe older. I know that I did not find some great relic that is worth an asking price from Sotherby's but however it's a great treasure to me. The vivid colors and landscape remind me of some village in Italy or some city along the Mediterranean Sea. Both of which I hope to visit again. I had gone many years ago for a very brief time on a school trip when I was seventeen. I have never forgotten the little places we went to in Italy and have always wanted to explore Greece and all the little places that call the Mediterranean home. This little four dollar treasure reminds me of such a place. It makes me want to walk up to the steps that I see in this painting and trample around in the little village that is quietly awaiting to be discovered. I may never really get to that side of the globe but I can always stare into this painting & go there in my imagination and have a great adventure. Not bad for a $4.00 investment, eh? elizinashe

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Nice find! Hmmm, gives me an idea. I'll explain in December.

elizinashe said...

why December?