Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Computers

Computers have been a necessity in our world for a long time now. Computers practically run our world. We use computers to plan our vacation as opposed going to a travel agent, corespond to family & friends as opposed to writing letters, shop on-line as opposed going to the store, create slideshows for a meeting as opposed writing on a board, create spreadsheets to keep track of business stuff as opposed to keeping it all on paper neatly filed away. And so on, and so on...you get the point.
I am amazed that I grew up without a computer. I didn't even use one in college the first time around. I still typed up my papers the old fashioned way-on a typewriter. I remained pretty clueless to the whole computer world until about 3 years ago when I finally broke down and bought a laptop. My main reason for buying one was because I truly needed a computer at home so I could return to college. These days its pretty much a requirement as alot of professors post work on-line and therefore you submit your work via email. I also wanted to be able to check newly created email account from the comforts of my home instead of having only 20 minutes at the library. Besides, the library isn't open late at night which is primarily the time I hop on the net. Needless to say, I have soaked up the computer age and have truly become hooked.
I have tons of picures saved, loads and loads of music, creative files, old homework and other crap that I have saved for whatever reason. I can't believe how dependent I have become on this little thing. I love it. I can't imagine the rest of my life without one in my home.
But alas the time has come that I have, or rather my computer has caught a bug. (insert expletive here.) I have a worm-slash-virus or maybe a little bit of both. Damn it man! I was hoping that I would be one of those people who would never have a major problem. I'm always so careful. Apparently not this time. All is working well now thank God. I have done frequent monster scans and have left opening email in the dark for a while. I have already talked to some tech geeks at a local computer repair business here in town and have plans to drop my baby off for a diagnosis and repair. The price they have quoted me is very reasonable and I should have it back in about 3-4 days. Again, a very reasonable time.
I am blessed and lucky to have a computer I know. Many people don't even have food in their refridgerator. However I will miss my little pute while it's away. How am I going to listen to music??? It's all on my computer since my stereo died. How am I going to check my email? What if I miss something really trivial but important? How will I check my facebook? I've become totally addicted to my little friend. How will I know what's going on in the world? I don't have cable so I miss alot of news. How will I know what my horoscope says? How will I survive?? And most importantly, what ever did I do before I even had a computer?? elizinashe

No comments: