Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Trying to Prep

So I have very slowly began reviewing for the up and coming NCLEX.  What a pain in the ass.  I have so enjoyed having some free time since the chaos of finals and the pinning ceremony has passed.  I have crawled out of bed later than normal, savored my morning coffee and have taken afternoon naps.  But as our testing dates come closer I know I need to start reviewing more diligently.  Ugh.  

I reviewed some lab result type questions this evening.  I've come to realize that I need to make some more note cards and get back into that habit of making some cheat sheets to keep with me.  I've also realized that there are many aspects of the nursing field that was not completely elaborated in our nursing class.  Yes, we were taught many, many things and what to look for, assess and outcomes but I think they totally slacked on the importance of lab values and the whole pharmacology area.  It's like I'm having to self-teach myself something completely new as opposed as being a refresher in content.  Not good. 

What's really hard for me is the evening time.  I tend to have some dinner, a glass of wine and begin to wind down.  I do a lot better if I start during the daytime to study and have some sort of routine, but my days have been preoccupied in laundry, clearing out clutter piles and other household duties that have been ignored for a very long time and I'm not done yet.  At least I got my 'thank you' cards done today.  One step at a time, right?  

I have a girlfriend that I finally caught up with one evening last week.  Now that she knows that I am no longer in class she's wanting to do more activities with me.  I just might regret this.  Although she is a good friend, I have not missed her too much over the last few months due to her constant drama and self-absorption.  I think she forgets that I still have a huge test to prep for.  In her world, I am free and we can once again hang out more.  I beg to differ.  I'm not trying to be ugly or anything.  She is a good friend but only in small spurts.  I can only take so much drama regardless of school or not.  

My only objective for the next month is to pass this stupid test, get my license and take a real vacation for the first time in almost three years.  Yes, I said three years.  I had two 'stay cay' vacations prior to nursing school, one quick trip for a concert in the summer in my first year and a weekend getaway before my second year began.  I haven't left the state borders since 2010.  I am way overdue.  And that's all that needs to be said.  Okay, time to get back on the couch and start all over again tomorrow.  Cheers!  elizinashe

No comments: