Friday, May 31, 2013

Sleep

Since school has ended I've been at a complete loss as to keeping some sort of routine.  I have had nights, where I sleep really, really well and others I toss and turn for most of the night with thoughts stuck in my head only to find really good sleep right before my alarm sounds off.  Ugh!  

Most of my dreams have been post-stress related slash guilt ridden slash family crap and pre-state board testing anxiety.  Geeze....will I ever be normal again?  I get really sleepy during the late afternoon to which I usually take a quick nap and then move on to the next task that I had planned.  I have done that many times before, even during my schooling without effecting my night time sleeping habits.  But it seems lately, when I need to go to bed at my normal hour I have some sort of second wind and can't wind down enough to go to bed even though I try.  Someone once told me that when you have a hard time falling asleep that you should do something that you hate like cleaning, organizing, laundry, dishes and so on because that will make your brain 'shut off' and make you want to go to sleep.  Sounds like an excellent plan, however I feel like once I get started on that sort of stuff that I won't stop and then hit the hay in the wee hours of the morning.  That's not always a good thing especially when you have to get up early for work.  To which I am in that predicament at this very moment.  I've had a nice dinner with some wine and should be quite ready for bed however my mind is not ready enough to crawl into my nest.  Ah, the perks of nursing school PTSD.  

I could very easily start picking stuff up off the floor in efforts to bust out the vacuum and gather some more laundry to wash.  However, if I start that I'm afraid I won't stop. Even though I absolutely hate the vacuum.  Now would be a great time because it's not so hot outside plus it's easier on my electric bill, but alas, five am comes early and cleaning the house at this point might jack me up too much to sleep well before I need to get up for work.  If I start reviewing again for my state boards it will be the same thing not to mention put complete panic in my head about what I've forgotten and what I just don't know, thus spending way too much time on catching up on lost factors.  Ugh.  

I hope this is just a temporary thing, otherwise I'm in for a sleep study.   Thanks AB Tech for screwing with my head and what was once an almost normal sleep cycle.  I guess that's makes me a survivor of the nursing program slightly damaged.  Haha....Sleep well my readers as I will toss and turn for yet another night. Yea me.  elizinashe

No comments: