Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside

Yep, it's winter alright.  My corner of the world is in the midst of that 'polar vortex' which is a meteorological term for cold as shit.  I've spent two days buying that cheap foam stuff to put on my pipes 'just in case' because I know my landlords wouldn't do it in time.  They're probably out of town anyway.  It was just easier to do it myself.  Got the shower and bathroom sink on a slow drip too.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  The temps are holding steady at 3 degrees right now.  It's supposed to drop to zero if not slightly below.  Coldest it's been here in like 20 years.  It's certainly the lowest temp on record since the 1800s.  Dang that's cold.  I wonder what people back then did to keep warm.  My windows in my 'living room' pretty much look like that picture.  Ah, the glories of living in an old house.  Can't wait to leave this place.  

So I've spent my day prepping a feast in my crock pot, then made a mad dash to the dentist for an emergency fix on a temporary crown that popped off AGAIN!  What a pain in the ass.  Then it was off to the doctor.  Just can't shake this cold I have had plus I knew that it was getting to the point that it could have turned into bronchitis or pneumonia.  I'm not having any of that.  The real pisser about that trip was the pharmacy next door ran out of the antibiotic that was prescribed, which meant going to the hospital where I work to pick up my meds at that pharmacy.  That was right about the time that the temps started dropping.  Glad I grabbed my hat and gloves.  The only upside to that trip was my medicine cost me a whole eight dollars.  Yep.  Eight.  Thank you Jesus!  

Came home, threw some ice melt on my drive since they had predicted some snow and any ice that is left would refreeze.  Luckily my drive was already dry but who knows if it's really gonna snow at this point?  I want to be able to leave my house tomorrow when that cabin fever sets in.  Of course, being that I've been sick, staying in my pjs might not be such a bad idea.  

At the end of it all, I'm glad my day is over.  My crock pot feast was lovely and I've done nothing but sit my ass on the couch and watch television.  Although, that's getting pretty old at this point especially since I don't have cable so I'm pretty limited to the variety.  (sigh.).  I'm just about tired of the news because all they are talking about is this damn weather.  I've seen enough.  And being that I work  nights, sleeping through the night has become an issue despite that I've been off for a few days.  Guess I could clean up some clutter piles.  Or not.  Haha...in the meantime I will envision warmer places.  Stay safe and warm!  elizinashe