Monday, September 29, 2014

What You Really, Really Want....

So the hunt for the 'perfect' kitchen table has finally come to a close. Or at least, I hope.  Geeze....decisions, decisions....

There is a huge discount place that I had visited at least five times looking at tables.  I finally decided to go with a 'counter top height' style as I just could not shake it off my mind.  I really dig the style and there is still plenty of room.  This one table was really, really nice with fat padded chairs which would make it really, really comfortable.  However, it was way more than I could ever imagine of spending.  Why is furniture so dang expensive?  I made three trips looking at this one particular table but just could not justify spending nearly $1,000 for a table.  Yep.  $1,000.  Seriously?  Of course, being that it was a 'discount place' and they were having a 'Grand Opening ' special in their new place, it would be 20% off which would still be close to $700-800 if not more.  Can't forget that delivery charge....Ugh.  

On the flip side, there was a new retail furniture store that just opened up close to my house with a smaller selection of items but still had some good basics.  I really don't trust big retailers because they just tend to rip off their customers.  Or so I feel.  I have the same mentality with car dealerships but that's a whole other bag.  Anyway, so I made myself go to the new place, just to check it out.  And lo and behold, I did find a table that was very similar to the overpriced table at the other 'discount' place AND it was only $488.  Yep.  $488.  Wow.  I was quite pleased.  The only thing that is doesn't have compared to the other table is the fat, cushioned chairs.  (I do like my ass to be comfortable y'know.)  The style is the same and the color is very similar.  The table itself is not quite as thick but it's not that cheap thin looking pressed fake looking crap either.  I almost walked out buying it that evening.  But being the picky stupid ass that I am, I walked away so I could think about it.  

I went back to that 'discount' place one last time...and no, I didn't buy that table but I really wanted it.  I just could not stomach paying that much money for a stupid table.  Blah, blah, blah...I felt comfortable in my mental decision to go with the cheaper but similar table and told myself that I would go and make my purchase before I went to a cook-out gathering for the afternoon on Sunday.   And so I did.  Another beauty of this deal is that I get some kind of 'extra protection/warranty' for what was supposed to be $50 turned out to be $30.  So if anything goes awry with my table, they will replace it or have it repaired.  And if nothing ever goes wrong, then that $30 is returned to me, most likely in the form of store credit.  Yep.  They give you money back.  Or so they say.  Guess I will find out in three years.  Haha....

But there is a small part of me that still wants that overpriced table, simply because of the big, fat comfortable cushioned chairs.  Aren't I stupid?  I've already have in mind to call this fabric place that does some mending/recovering to see if they can't make some big, fat cushions to put on my chairs.  Again, I like my ass to be comfortable.  And want my guest's ass to be comfortable too.  I know I'm over thinking this whole table thing. The whole 'do I or don't I?'.  Do you get what you really, really want because you think too big or do you take a step back and get what you really need realistic?   Sheesh...hope I still like it once it arrives.  May God help me when it comes time to get more furniture.  Haha...hopefully it will be an easier process without breaking my budget or my sanity.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.  elizinashe

No comments: