Sunday, December 7, 2014

What Goes In Must Come Out

Ask and Ye Shall Receive
It's always something, right?  Once you think you're getting slightly ahead, there is always some sort of set back.  Ugh...why must life be that way?  But somehow it usually works itself out.  Or does it?  

I had picked up a few hours this past Friday night due to staff shortage, plus a call out plus our computer system was 'going down' around 10pm for a system wide maintenance, which means it would be a lot of paper charting until close to shift change which is around 0700.  That's 7am for those who don't speak nursing.  Or military.  haha..

Regardless, I couldn't turn the offer down especially since I was being offered 'crisis pay' which means extra money per hour on top of what I was already making.  Plus it would be overtime and some weekend differential.  The recovery from the sleep deprivation has been doable but my Sunday did not start off as I had planned or expected.  Sigh...

To make a really long story short, my cat got sick.  Poor thing.  I had only been asleep for about 4 hours when I heard him puking and walking around meowing.  Now the puking thing is not unusual but the rest of the stuff that had ensued was not normal and he was clearly in pain, very uncomfortable, anxious and frustrated.  I could not let that go on.  I knew there was something else.  What was even more frustrating was that I had no other choice but to take him to the 'Emergency Clinic' since my vet didn't open until 3pm on Sundays.  It was coming close to 9am and my cat's decline had started about 2 hours prior.  I could not let this go on.  

So off we go to the clinic to which I've had bad experiences with in prior years not to mention a huge bill because they can get away with it since it's a 24 hour place.  Weekends and holidays too.  Ouch.  Needless to say, three hours later and $570.60 later we came home.  Nothing too significant and his blood work, at $150 a pop, was quite unremarkable.  Which means nothing of great importance or dangerous.  Stubborn kitty I have....For the most part, he was dehydrated and had been quite constipated which was the root cause and was also the reason he was puking a lot too.  Poor thing. 

So this evening has been some light food and wine for me, with King Hecubus the Snaggletooth, as one of my friends dubbed him many years ago, resting quietly on the couch recovering from a traumatic day.  Three loads of laundry due to the pooping and puking and spot cleaning the floors where he had puked and left a little poo.  Yep.  That's my night...ah, the beauties of being a pet owner.  It sucks that I had to spend so much money on a clinic that certainly over charges because they can, but I'd do it all over again.  I would never let my 'fur baby' suffer like that.  I think any pet owner would tell you the same.  

I love my handsome old man.  He may be pretty persnickety in his old age but don't we all get a little particular as we get older?   I just hope that he continues on a road of recovery and comfort, especially tonight.  I know the future doesn't look too bright for him which breaks my heart.  I'm not ready for that yet.  I want him to leave this Earth peacefully with me by his side and at home.  Just not now.  He's got some more living to do.  That I know.  
Hecubus

Lastly, since I am one to 'put it out there to the universe',  I wanted to post a pic of money coming 'to me' instead of money 'leaving me'.  Thus, the money tree that you see above.  And I will end my post with a pic of Hecubus in his better days as he looks a little thin these days.  He's still soft and cuddly and loves to sleep right up in my face every night.  Purring.  That's a pretty good sound to fall asleep to.  elizinashe
A Typical Evening Pose

No comments: