Thursday, August 20, 2015

Friends & Family

What is Normal Anyway? 
You can't pick your family, but you can pick your friends.  That we all know.  Sometimes my friends are better than my family.  Sometimes my family is all I need.  Sometimes I need both.  Other times, I need neither.  

It seems I've had a bit of a mash and reminders of what I just said above.  Guess somebody is trying to tell me something. 

I noticed this past weekend that one of my Facebook friends, a woman that I have been friends with for years, dropped of my friends list.  I just assumed that she intentionally dropped me, as she feels like I'm trying to 'squeeze her out' because we haven't seen each other in a long time.  She even left me a long winded message regarding the 'cold shoulder' a few months back.  Which was not the case in my world, but she's full of drama anyway.  So...I instead of asking her I just let it be.  I don't need a bunch of mindless drama and I felt like maybe this was a way to part ways.  But alas, I was kinda sad about it.  She is a good person after all, she just allows drama to rule her life.  As it turns out, she thought I had dropped her.  For some reason, I had dropped off her list when she had her phone reprogrammed.  Along with some others I would guess.  So we are now FB friends again and remain in contact.  Guess our time really isn't over yet.  

So apparently there is a mini-family reunion this coming weekend at my Aunt's house a couple of hours away.  My mother told me about it a couple of weeks ago.  According to her, this was decided just a few weeks prior suddenly, so our remaining family could get together, eat and visit just like we did when we were all younger.  Sadly I am already scheduled to work and can't get away.  My work schedule is typically done in a month in advance and in one month blocks.  That's just how our unit works.  What bothers me is that even though my Aunt and cousins are on my Facebook, nobody but my mother told me.  Maybe they just assumed that she would let me know, but still...they could have given me a heads up.  Why couldn't they ask when I was free so we could all meet?  It kind of makes me feel left out.  Just like always.  What they don't realize is that my cousins are really all the family I will have left when the time comes.  Do they not know that I might need them in my life?  I do love my family, and I have wonderful memories spending time with them all.  But...it's family.  And they can be pretty clueless at times.  At least I have good friends.  

Speaking of...they say real friends will always be there no matter how long it's been since you've seen each other or when you had last talked.  I totally believe that.  There are times when I go months without talking to some of my friends, simply because life is funny that way, but when we do finally talk, it's like we had just spoken the day before.  I like that feeling.  And what's more hopeful, is that my childhood best friend who now lives in Texas might be coming out this way to visit in November.  I've already penciled it in on my calendar so I don't pick up any extra shifts that weekend that she may be in town.  We haven't seen each other in about ten years if not longer.  I wish I could see her everyday but time and distance has kept us apart.  I have always had faith that we will see each other again, that I know.  And it looks like this Fall will be a brief reunion.  I pray that we both have good health and safe travels so we can reunite.  I need to see my 'wusband' as we call each other.  I think it will do us both some good for the heart and soul.  

And so that's the scoop ya'll.  Dad to arrive in a couple of weeks.  I know he's excited and I'm looking forward to it as well.  It should be a good time and I have a nice list of 'daddy do' things for him.  He's wanting to meet with my mom and visit with her so it will most likely be a lunch date with the two of them  Ugh...that will be awkward as hell.  I am not looking forward to seeing that.  But...there's not much I can do to change that.  Wish me luck.  Hope you have family still around and close friends in your circle.  You gotta have some of that, if not both.  And if you do then you're pretty blessed.  Hopefully whomever is in your circle makes you feel fulfilled and loved.  Because that's what really matters does it not?  elizinashe 
How Friends Should Be

No comments: