Sunday, May 25, 2014

And So It Happened....

My, my what a long journey it has been.  Ten years ago my life changed in many ways.  Some good and some really bad.  Ten years ago I was doing really well financially and felt really confident about myself and my future.  I almost bought a bungalow that I really liked.   However, my job at the time was a little shaky and I decided not to purchase at that time.  And then due to circumstances beyond my control, I lost my job due to a flood.  I was out of a job for about three months.  So glad that I didn't have a mortgage at that time.  I was going through some personal struggles at that time as well which added to the stress.  It was during that horrible time that I began my re-schooling career and slowly eased out of my beloved bartending days and warmed up to the hospital setting.  

Little by little, I began taking classes.  Found a small house to rent, (and I do mean small!) and did the whole working and going to school gig.  For three years, I took classes that would apply to the nursing diploma curriculum.  And on the third attempt to be accepted into the nursing program I received the lucky news.  I got in!!  Terrified and excited, I trudged through two years of laughter, stress, anxiety, sleepless nights, high fives, much cursing, a clever study group, made new friends and adopted a " I Will It" motto.  I would never had the success that I had without my 'Team Thymi'.  They are still a part of my circle of loved ones today and will remain so for as long my days are present here on this crazy universe.  

I have been employed as a nurse since October.  Priorities for me once I got the money building up in my pitiful bank account were simple.  I desperately needed a newer and better living conditions that I currently have due to many issues.  Two, I needed to replace my car as it consistently needed repaired all through my nursing school career.  It became more expensive to repair then own.  That thing had to go.  And third, my need to replace my ancient computer as it too, needed repaired during school.  The weekend before our last semester it nearly bit the dust altogether.  Bad timing.  

Needless to say, I have completed my priority list.  Now, it did not happen in the way-slash-order that I had hoped but I got it done regardless.  One year ago this month, I graduated from the nursing program, got 'pinned' and began prepping for the NCLEX.  And now, I have a better car, a new computer and a new home to move in to that I can truly call my own.  No more wasting my money in rent.  Now my nursing degree has afforded me to buy my own digs to which I am still in disbelief but yet keeps me up at night on how to plot the packing and moving.  Jesus, what a year it has been.  

I thank my lucky stars and Team Thymi.  I thank God and my family who put up with seeing me once a semester.  I thank my friends who put up with my bitching and moaning.  I thank my friends from afar who kept me going and gave me inspiration when I needed it.  I thank those who just listened while I freaked out and cried.  And I thank those special friends who came into town for a quick visit just so we could catch up for a few hours and unwind together.  I could not have made it this far without all that jazz I have listed up above.  And now, I am about to embark on a new journey of home ownership.  I never thought I'd ever be this successful.  Keeping my fingers crossed and prayers said that the rest of my hopes and dreams come alive and that I continue to move forward in my upside down life.  Until next time...elizinashe

No comments: