Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Dating & Other Stuff

Why does the dating world have to be so difficult?  Why can't it be more black and white instead of one big guessing game and disappointment?  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not in the dating world as of yet nor have I had my heart broken recently but the dating world is opening up to a degree and I have forgotten what a tangled web can be spun.  I wonder if it was just as tricky way back in the 'olden days' when the courtship was more innocent.  Were women just as bitchy?  Were men assholes back then?  Makes me wonder given the generation and era of our society.  Wouldn't it be nice just to experience a nice cup of coffee without the apprehension of physical expectations?  
 Speaking of 'courtship', apparently the Duggar daughters aren't allowed to 'date' but are to be 'courted'.  Who are the Duggars you say?  They are that family in northwest Arkansas that have 19 children, all of whom are their own and not adopted, that stick to some very old school values and teachings.  They are devoted to their religion and all the children have been home schooled.  Now, with that being said, it does not surprise me that they would want their daughters to be 'courted'.  However, my understanding is that they aren't allowed to kiss or even really touch each other.  Sometimes a 'side hug' and maybe holding hands but that's about it from what I gather.  So, how does a courtship really prepare you for an intimate relationship?  Especially in this day and age when we are so bombarded with sexuality and modern technology.  I'm all for the buildup and 'waiting for the moment' which adds to the passion, but I do like to kiss and if I'm not allowed to kiss while I am dating-slash-courting some guy then I would certainly explode at some point, giving into my desires and speed up the 'got to have sex' part of the relationship, which we all know having sex too soon can be a relationship killer.  But I guess there is some sweet aspect of the  courtship.  I do believe you end up building on the relationship itself and learn how to communicate before all that sex stuff, which would be a great benefit for any couple.  

So back to the dating thing.  How do you tell a nice guy that you're just not interested?  This one man certainly is persistent but not in a creepy way.  He goes to my local hangout and we usually end up chatting for a bit.  He's bought my dinner much to my surprise a couple of times already.  Sigh....I do appreciate the gesture and being treated but I don't want to lead him on.  He's really not my type but he's a really nice guy, or so it seems at this point.  I just don't want to dive into a dating relationship with this dude.  I've got other priorities right now and starting a dating relationship would just end badly.  It would be different if he was a total jackass or a slobbering drunk.  But he's not.  He's just a good old country boy who wants to take me to dinner.  Geeze....

I'm really trying not to spend extra money as I am coming closer to getting some new digs and I will need the money for all that extra expense that comes with ownership.  However, I had to get out and pick up a gift for a friend who has completed her nursing degree and will get 'pinned' this Friday.  She had started with our class and then left in our second year due to some personal stuff that was getting in the way.  She had reapplied the following fall to finish up and I have been cheerleading her all the way.   I really had hoped that she would have graduated with our team but sometimes life takes over and you just have to stop and readjust.  Now, she is all past that and more.  I am so damn excited for her!  We finally got  together earlier tonight to catch up and celebrate.  I was looking forward to it all day long.  It was a really good reunion.  My other studymates and I are going to see her at the pinning ceremony.  Us girls have got to stick together!  We all suffered together and now we get to celebrate together.  Woo hoo!  

So, it's been a busy couple of days.  Recovering from the nights to become a day person again and now I get to do it all over again.  My sleep cycle is all messed up but that's okay.  It's been worth it so far, at least I think.  Haha....my brain hasn't been right since the first semester of nursing school so what do I really know?  At least my brain is still intact enough to dive into my new book.  I read seven chapters the first day I bought it.  And that's saying something!  I've never been one to read calmly or quietly for very long but I've been waiting for this author to release this follow-up and it's kept me in stitches and kept most of my concentration.  If you haven't read anything my Christopher Moore then you are missing out on some fine entertainment. 

So that's about it for this epic post.  I guess becoming a real night owl has had its benefits for me.  It's given me time to write a bit more and plot my new endeavor.  Hopefully, I will merge into the dating world with confidence once I get squared away and with the one that is right just for me.  I do like a little romance.  And kissing.  
elizinashe

1 comment:

Bernie said...

How do you tell the guy you're not interested? Just tell him. Diplomatically, especially if he is the nice guy he seems to be, but don't make him guess. One part about 'today' that is better than the 'olden days' is that men and women can talk and the good men will listen too.