Sunday, September 24, 2017

The New Guy in My Life

Trevor Noah
Okay, so no...I really don't have a new romance as of present, but I do however have a new famous person obsession.  I may be a bit behind the times on this, but then again perhaps not.

I've been hearing about Trevor Noah for some time now.  I've been catching him more frequently on the Daily Show and have seen him on a talk show or two.  He seems to be a really hot ticket these days.  At least in America.

1).  He's really funny and wicked smart. 
2).  He grew up in a difficult time that 90% of us could never understand. 
3).  He's got a keen sense of observation. 

Need I go on?  I saw that he was coming to do a stand-up gig in my town a couple of months ago.  I immediately knew I wanted to go.  And I knew immediately who I wanted to go with me.  For some reason, I felt like this was extremely important to see this show.  Not that I felt like it would be some big political thing or one of those "life changing moments", but I knew I just had to go.  

And so I went.  With my bestie in tow.  And it was all worth it even if we were in the first balcony.

I was lucky enough to find his book about a week prior to the show at a used book store.  I read it in a within a week which is a record for me.  It was painfully funny and very well written.  I felt like I could hear him tell his story as if he was sitting in front of me. 

Trevor grew up in South Africa during the Apartheid with a black mother and a white father.  That was a big "no-no" back then not to mention totally illegal.  (huh?).  This guy lived through some shit, y'all.  Even slept inside a car at night because he did not have a proper bed in one phase of his life.  There were times when there was no food, so he went hungry.  But somehow...he survived.  And became very successful.  He broke the cycle of living what could have been a horrible life.   And he's humble about it too. 

I learned so much by reading his book that I am just fascinated with his story.  I want to know more.  I want to know what happened to his friends he mentioned his his book.  I want to know what happened to the girl he fell in love with and that suddenly moved to the States as her father got a job here in our country.  He never did get the chance to profess his feelings.  I wonder if he's found her now on Facebook.  Maybe she found him? 

I want to hear him speak the six South African languages he learned, mostly out of survival and some of it rooted in  ancestry.  Check out the Xhosa language.  I find it fascinating.  And he can speak that as his mother was Xhosa.  I've already Googled the other languages too.  Again...I find it fascinating. 

What amazes me the most, is this guy grew up in an era that was rooted in hatred, racism, violence, crime and poverty.  And yet, this guy overcame his hardships and made a career for himself.  Yes, many comedians have some sort of tragic background, thus they cope with comedy and silly jokes.  But this guy makes his experiences funny and in a way, a teaching forum.  He's always grateful and humble for his success.  And he really doesn't say a mean or hateful word about his subjects in his comedic routine.  He's wickedly sharp.  And I want to know more and more and more about his life and hear more of his stories.  I've always been a sucker for a good yarn or two. 

If you haven't read his book yet, I highly recommend putting it on your reading list.  I promise you won't get bored.  There were times I just wanted to hug him, and others I am laughing my ass off.  His mother must be a Saint and that is all I will say about that.  Check it out folks-"Born a Crime" -it's a good read.  And you just might find yourself wanting to know more about him just like me.  Until next time....elizinashe. 
Something To Remember

No comments: