Thursday, September 27, 2018

America

America the Strong
Have you seen that video by Childish Gambino "This is America"?  It's pretty  powerful.  In many aspects.  I have never heard of the guy until I watched Saturday Night Live when he hosted and performed the song.  And then the following Monday he "dropped the video".  I watched it at least three times in a row.  And several times after with a friend.  There's a lot going on in this video and it makes my mind spin with many things.  Many messages to decipher. 

This whole "MeToo" movement....I'm glad it's here.  Been a long time coming.  People are up in arms over the latest accusations over the Supreme Court Justice nominee.  I can understand why, but I too have been a victim of uncomfortable situations many times in my past.  I have been groped, prodded, coerced and guided into situations that I really did not want to be a part of.  Did I tell anyone?  No.  It's a common reaction.  Doesn't take away the gross feeling or the inappropriateness of it all.  Carrying shame will rear it's ugly head at some point.  Whatever the assault, it happens.  And I think women tend to keep it quiet because of the shame, the doubt we put upon ourselves the consequences and lack of belief or support.  And if this guy achieves a seat on our Supreme Court then it will set a tone that won't be a very positive one at all.  How many times have you been drunk and not remembered what had happened for the entire night?  Just saying....

I thought the 2016 campaign was a nightmare.  The tragedies, the shootings, the violence, the hate, the racial discord and lack of empathy astounded me.  It reminded me of what I was taught about the whole Civil Rights stuff back in the 1960s and all that peace & love movement.  I even asked my mom if what we were seeing then compared to anything she saw back her day as she was a young adult and passing her college years into the adult working world.  Her reply was the weapons of choice used by the common American had become more powerful and more deadly.  The most violent incident from her memory was Kent State.  The stuff we were seeing during the campaign was a bit more intense.  So yeah...I guess you could say 2016 was bit like the 1960s if not worse.  She had a hard time wrapping her head around it all just as I did.  And I still shake my head today when I see our current state of affairs.

Our world keeps changing.  What I do see on the horizon, is more people will get out and vote.  More women are taking their power back and taking it to the streets, the polls and to an elected office.  I see more young people making their own stand and screaming out their opinions and concerns.  I see more young people lining up to vote.  I see a hope for a better future but as always it's going to take some time.  I just hope it doesn't take another 20 + years to keep moving forward. 

Elections are coming.  Get out and vote.  I hope you make it a good one.  Until next time...elizinashe

P.S.  If I do this correctly, here is the link to that video I was talking about.  It's worth the view. 

https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY



No comments: