Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Greed

The Evils of Money
I don't care what Gordon Gekko says, Greed is not good.  Ambition?  Sure.  Greed? No.

We see it everyday.  And our political system is filled with Greed.  I don't have to tell you about our healthcare system and the pharmaceutical companies.  That whole mess makes me want to vomit.

I have a lovely small neighborhood.  Twenty homes on small lots.  One way in, one way out.  You'd never know we existed unless you just happened to take a turn up our hill.  But not no more. 

The AirBnB business is a hot one.  The "short term rental" gig in our area is booming.  And it's not a good thing.  We have three short term rentals on my street.  All of which surround my home.  There's a high possibility that there is a fourth as I don't see the same vehicles in the drive everyday or every weekend.  And there is a home currently for sale on my street.  My fear is that someone will buy it and turn it around for yet another "short term rental".

Insert angry face here.  I am so sick of coming home every freaking weekend to multiple cars crammed into a very small neighborhood, parked all fucked up in the small driveways of these rentals AND in the street which is not allowed.  I witnessed our trash service having a very difficult time navigating the road to avoid hitting a Subaru that was parked on the street in front of one of the rentals.  I secretly had hoped that the trash truck would have creamed that Subaru.  Seriously.

What really burns me up, the owners of the said short term rentals are buying these houses specifically for the said short term rental.  They are never there.  Not to mention is does nothing but block a family or a single person like myself from owning a home.  We already have a housing crisis.  Rent in my area is ridiculous.  The cost of living keeps increasing and trying to find an affordable home for your average family is becoming more difficult.  But yet, our city/county keeps issuing permits for these "short term rentals". 

I've been taking pictures for evidence.  Yep.  Sure have.  I had a drunk girl try to enter my home last year.  She was at the wrong house.  And despite me yelling at her through the door to "get off my porch", she kept on turning the door knob.  AND ringing my door bell.  At 2 AM.  Yep.  2. AM.  Oh sweet Hell...she is lucky that I didn't open the door and punch her in the face.  For real.  I seriously wanted to shove that woman off my property.  However, I didn't want an assault charge place on me so I kept myself together.

Our quaint neighborhood is becoming not so quaint anymore.  And I refuse to leave.  As a homeowner, I should not have to live around "hotel guests" if you will, because that is exactly what they are.  I should not have to live around the noise, the inconvenience, the multiple Ubers and Lyfts that enter our area all hours of the night.  And I sure as Hell shouldn't have to navigate my way due to ill parked and multiple cars just to get into my own driveway.  Just because the home advertises can sleep 6-8 people does not mean we can have 6-8 cars for a single home.  Assholes.

I've already looked up our HOA Covenants which appears to violate the rules and restrictions that are outlined.  I plan to bring that shit up.  These short term rental owners are running a business.  Let's call it what it is.  And they're doing nothing but making a profit in the name of Greed.  No taxes paid to the county.  At least at this point.  I know my fellow neighbor and homeowner feels the same way I do.  He plans on making some calls too because it's all getting ridiculous.  There is a family out there somewhere that needs a home and who deserves a home.  Forget these hotel guests.  I'm over it.  I'm ready to fight.  Until next time...elizinashe
I Want to Drink My Coffee in Peace

No comments: