Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Hot for Humor

It's been really hot here lately. We're talking about 90 degree weather with no wind or rain. UGH!! Granted, it is August and we are just now reaching our hot, summer weather and yes, I grew up in Arkansas where it can be 90 degrees in June which is quite ridiculous but nonetheless, I've lived here long enough that when it gets in the high 80s I become a big whiner baby like everyone else. I used to laugh at the locals when they'd complain about 88 degree days. Now, I get lazy and sloth-like along with the many fine folks that live here in our wonderful mountains. My 'to do' lists remain unfinished, although I have managed to complete 90% of my tasks within 3 days. I guess that's not too bad. It's just this hot weather zaps every ounce of motivation out of my system.
I shouldn't feel that bad I suppose. I know where my classes will be next week, I've managed to have my car looked over with very little expense,(thank God that there wasn't a major problem as I had paranoidly suspected.) I have contacted HR twice about getting my benefits kicked in, I've looked into a gym membership, made a CD for my mom's crazy artist friend who sent me a care package, found some treasures on clearance and Goodwill, and have stocked up the fridge for a couple of days. Not so bad. And when I get too hot and tired, I sit in front of the pute which is right by my air conditioner and play around. (tv just sucks.) Even the cats sits in front of the air flow to sleep and stay cool. Which brings me to my next point...
I looked up Hugh Laurie on You Tube, just for kicks. I really like his character on House. He's such a smarmy ass I just love it. I had found that Mr. Laurie is quite the comedian. Typical of British humor which I love. And of course by looking up Hugh I came across John Cleese(love him!) , Rowan Atkinson, and Absolutely Fabulous. Truly a nice way to spend a quiet evening to stay cool. What is it about British humor that is so much funnier than Americans? I can't recall too many f you's, or cheap stabs just for a laugh. You really have to pay close attention to the content. If you aren't somewhat educated then you probably won't find it funny at all. I haven't seen any American comedians or movie that made me laugh as hard as I do when watching the British. Of course I don't have cable so I may be missing out on something really great but I doubt that. All I'm saying is that I appreciate the effort that some of these British entertainers put into a monolouge, skits, prat falls and insults. Maybe it's the way the utilize the english language. They definately have a wonderful way of using their words to describe their day or a rant. I think Americans are just to quick to use a large amount of cursing to make something funny. What's so funny about that? Maybe it's just me. Bullocks. elizinashe

2 comments:

Lee said...

Bloody hell.... I miss watching AbFab on t.v. I absolutely LOVED that show darling.

Sorry that it's been so hot. Hopefully your package will arrive soon and give you a little cheer! I am starting to think I need to make Brad fly me down to rescue you for a weekend!

You would have loved Spam a Lot. I miss you and your crazy ass! Keep up the good work, slow and steady sounds like what you've been doing and it seems to be working for you. I'm really proud of all that you've accomplished so far, and so glad that our friendship continues even we can't see each other like we want.

Love you!
Lee

elizinashe said...

I so miss Ab Fab..I think there's a little Patsy in all of us from our younger days. Oh well, cheers thanks alot.
Did you see Spamalot? I tried to get one of my friends to jet up there for a quick weekend a couple of years ago but he wouldn't budge much..stick in the mud. Hey how was Dave by the way??? Love you!! e