Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Procrastination..To Do or Not To Do..

Tomorrow is Another Day....
I used to be really productive in my off days.  I had a routine and pretty much kept to that schedule.  I was thin ,exercised regularly and ate really healthy.  I had a good job, a nice apartment and was well on my way to becoming the adult that I had always wanted to be.  Then things changed.  Some for the better and some not so better. 

Since then, I have traveled a long way from that journey.  I realized that I was a rather "closed off" kind of person, and all that energy I spent being productive with work and outside of work was not good for my soul.  I spent too much time trying to be "perfect".  Or at least, as perfect as I could be.  

Now my life is quite different.  I have a better job, a better place to live and many plans in my head to tackle.  However...that need to be "perfect" still hangs over my head and the things that I need-slash-want to tackle seem a bit overwhelming at times.  And those seemingly over whelming tasks go on the back burner for another day.  Am I procrastinating?  Is it anxiety?  Or is it just a matter of priority?  

Certain tasks always get done.  Like laundry.  Or dishes.  But the vacuuming and cleaning bathrooms are always on the back burner.  Plus, those are the two household tasks that I absolutely loathe.  What I struggle with is the justification of delaying it for just a few more hours.  Being that I am usually up at night, I tell myself that I will clean or finally unpack what few random boxes I have a get organized.  So when I have people over, they don't think I'm a total slob.  However...the night time hours come and I yet again put it off...telling myself that I will do it all tomorrow.  And then tomorrow does in fact come...and I choose not to tackle such silly things.  I do live by myself after all and my cat doesn't mind so why should I?  

One of my good friends, who was super smart and very successful in his career didn't torture himself with such things.  Yes, certain parts of his home was uber organized and he divulged in his hobbies but he also would take his time when it came to completing projects.  He didn't care that he had a pile of crap that laid around the house for months until he felt motivated to finish it off.  Guess I need to practice that more.  Or maybe not.  Does it really matter?  I do want to get my place a bit more organized and get back into a routine of using that pesky vacuum, so when I do have guests and friends over, I don't look like a complete mess of a hostess.  But then again, true friends won't really care if you have a little dirt in the corners or a pile of unfinished clutter, do they?  And why am I so bothered by this in the first place? 

And so...as the wee hours of the night continue to grow towards dawn, the vacuum cleaner will remain hiding in my closet for a nice long slumber for a little bit longer.  Tomorrow will be putting the laundry away.  Mom always said make sure you have clean underwear on...because...well..you know.  (wink, wink).  Happy Procrastination!  Embrace it.  Tomorrow always comes.  elizinashe
Sound Familiar?

No comments: