Saturday, June 30, 2007

Little Things



Sometimes the little things in life puts the wind back in your sails when you need it. I didn't plan much for my Friday night. I had a training class to attend and run some basic errands. Exciting, eh? I came home a little tired and crampy...girl stuff...ugh!! Upon waking up from my nap a friend of mine called me out of the blue to tell me that he and some of my former bar guests were perched up at some other local bar and I should come out and join everyone. And so I did to make a long story short. It was good to see everyone again and share stories about what we have all been up to lately. I've known these old farts about 8 years now...they're like a dysfunctional second family to me in some ways. It was good to check up on these guys, and they were glad to see that I am struggling forward in my new career venture. They have always been supportive in my trials and tribulations and have treated me with respect and admiration compared to other bartenders that have come and gone where I had worked. I was just different. And they were different to me. That's the only way I can really explain it in a short paragraph. Unless you have a few short hours to spare to hear about the Depot...it was truly a one of a kind place.

So I stayed awhile, had a few drinks, got some grub after leaving and came home. Then, some other friends of mine had called with some good news, basically saying hello, how are you, come and visit and so forth. They had moved a couple of months ago and started a new venture. I thought these people would have faded away from my circle of peoples as it sometimes happens in life. Anyway, so that was a good and unexpected call despite my tipsy mentality. We all laughed at my loopiness. I'm glad they made an effort to stay in touch. I will try harder to keep the phone lines open so that we will always remain connected.

Upon my re-grouping, I checked my email and got some extra pics from my Monterey trip from my girlfriend whom I travelled with. She got some really cool pics!! It's nice to share someone else's view of the world and have a little something concrete to capture what they see...I can't wait for my orders to arrive. It will be nice to add to my photo albumn and do something crafty with my treasures. I know it's totally Martha Stewart but I really like pasting pictures in my photo albumns complete with stickers and quotations explaining what was going on at that momment. It's an easy way to tell a story, letting the viewer entertain their imagination.

And here's another kicker...I got a voice mail from another girlfriend who is in Kentucky right now for a couple of months with her job. She has a really unusual job and works primarily at night. Aprile follows horse shows around the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, Florida and basically wherever her clients go, braiding and grooming horses at night before a competitive show. It's a really odd job in a way. She will go into work about 7 or 8 at night braiding several horses throughout the night, returning to her nest for sleep around 8 or 9 the following morning. Weird I know but she busts her ass in more ways than I ever could and has been doing this kind of work for about 20 years. She's an amazing person and doesn't take shit from nobody. Period. I admire her for her tenacity and her doggedness to balance work, family and individuality. She's a really cool person with a really wicked laugh. I love that about her.

So in general, my Friday night has been unusual and surprising. Being that I had tenatively planned on going to my local hang-out, having a drink or two with a nice dinner and coming home to a movie or something. Typical single girl stuff. I'm really too old for the bar hopping scene...I'm over that. I guess there was something else in store for me Friday night. It was a nice reminder that no matter where you are there are people who love and care for you. Last night it felt like it came in a big wave.

Until next time...elizinashe

No comments: