Sunday, July 2, 2017

Digging in the Past

My Uncle David, Aunt Gwen and my Mother
I'm still slowly going through a bunch of stuff that my dad brought out from the house I grew up in.  Most of it is stuff that belonged to my mom, which includes a lot of her family pictures, piles and piles of letters that my grandparents wrote to each other, letters that my mother wrote to them and a box of stuff of my brother's including his senior yearbook.

I looked at his yearbook that first night after dad went to bed.  Man...that was a bit hard.  Shed quite a few tears over that one.  There was another pile of letters that some of his friends wrote when they met in Governor's School which is a special summer program between your Junior and Senior year of high school for the super smart and the gifted and talented kids.  You had to be nominated for that gig by your teachers so that's a pretty big deal.  I read some of those letters when dad left.  Boy did they crack me up.  My brother was blessed with really good friends and they all had a fun sense of humor.  One of the guys I am friends with on Facebook as he & I oddly reconnected many, many moons ago while I was bartending back home and years later "friended" each other to keep in touch.  I quickly sent him some pics of the said letters as I know he would like to see that memory too.  He enjoyed that blast from the past as much as I did. 
Silly Letters for my Brother

As for the other family letters, there are tons!  Dating back from the 1940s and onward.  People wrote long letters back in the day, as there was no such thing as computers, email, texting and the whole social media gig.  I do cherish these letters as it gives me an insight to my grandparents world before I knew them.  Oh the struggles they had...but so much love too.  Good hard working and honest people.  I miss the Hell of of them.  I wish I could go back in time and once again sit in their backyard eating veggies from their garden with ham and biscuits made from scratch.  It couldn't get any better than that.  I have lots of reading to conquer and wonderful memories to cherish.  You just can't put a price on that now can you?  Until next time...elizinashe
What a Piece of History!

No comments: