Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Woman Designing

I Really Dig These Shelves
When I got my new digs I had this great blank new space to make my own.  There were some things I knew exactly where I wanted to place them, how I wanted to make up the bathrooms and what I wanted to do with the upstairs area where my futon and tv reside.  I set up fairly quickly as I needed to be able to function and jump back into work.  I still have some tweaking to do but it's mostly minor stuff.  

My first real home purchase, other than the washer and dryer, was a kitchen table.  That took about four months.  I wasn't in any real hurry, but I did have a deadline as I was to have company in town in October and I wanted to have them over for dinner.  I finally found a table that I liked and it fits nicely with my kitchen decor.  At least I think so. 

December was setting up a 'guest bed' as I have never had one.  I already had a headboard and footboard in storage.  I just needed the side rails and the crossbars to support the box springs and mattress, to which I don't have yet.  Just a naked frame.  However, the frame looks really cool.  Now it will be doing a search for the said box springs and mattress and new bed linens to follow so I can officially have guests over, one which will include my dad as he was ready to come out when I began to move so he could 'help me'.  Ugh...that would not have been a good thing having him out here at that time as moving is such a pain in the ass.  Now that I'm closer to having a guest bedroom, I can plan on having him out in the Spring which will be much more comfortable for both of us.  

Anyway,  I still have boxes to sort and a guest room to tweak.  My room pretty much remains a mess but I don't mind it so much.  I'm trying to stay focused on the bigger picture without busting my budget.  I found a couple of floating shelves pics that I really like.  I don't like the typical store brand floating shelves as the wood is cheap looking and just 'blah' to me.  I like the reclaimed barn wood idea and I'm pretty sure one of my friends knows exactly how to build me some.  And I know which walls I want to place them and therefore, I will be able to unpack a couple of the said boxes that have my 'knick knacs' and give them a place to live.  Fun stuff.  

My ultimate goal is to have everything tweaked and homey by the end of the year.  It may be February but time flies and Christmas will be here soon enough. I want to put a tree up this year but  I will need to rescue my steamer trunk from my mother's basement first as most of my Christmas stuff is tucked away in that big black treasure.   And if I'm really, really productive, I can host a holiday dinner in my new space.  Guess I need to scope out some extra dishes as I don't have many of those either....I guess setting up house is never ending process, eh?  Until next time...elizinashe

No comments: