Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Bits & Pieces

Hurry Up Spring!
So our bitter weather has waned for the short term, only to return with some snow showers late tonight and into the morning.  The bonus is it's not going to amount to much, plus it will be above freezing during the daytime so going to work won't be much of a problem.  However, our weatherman keeps talking about a 'more significant event' Wednesday into Thursday but never says how much snow he thinks we are going to get.  And again, the temperatures during the daytime will be above freezing but most likely I will be driving in the snow going to work so I'd like to know how much of an event he's predicting.  Guess I better find me a new weatherman. 

Did you watch the Oscars?  I caught most of it.  I do like watching award shows from time to time.  Plus, it gives me a heads up on what movies I've missed and ones that I really should go see.  I'm not too political or anything but I will say there seemed to be a more serious tone and an 'awareness' to this year's festivities.  From Patricia Arquette's impassioned speech about equal right's for women, to Julianne Moore's Alzheimer's Disease research, to which if I'm not mistaken, the director who made the movie has ALS, to Graham Moore sharing that he attempted suicide at the age of sixteen.  Pretty powerful stuff folks.  You can't make that stuff up.  I'm glad that there are some famous faces putting the word out for such delicate matters.  They certainly have more ways and means than the average family to help support such causes.  And hey, did you know the Glenn Close is a mental health advocate?  Yep.  She has a sister with Bipolar Disorder and a nephew with Schizophrenia.  Yep. Sure does.  It just goes to show you that nobody is immune to what a lot of people struggle with everyday.  
Gogol Bordello
On a lighter note, I found out that this crazy band I saw a few years back will be in Asheville this coming week.  Oh the joy I had when I heard the news!  I saw this band open up for the Dave Matthews Band outside of the DC area.  It was my first exposure to this group and I loved them!  They are certainly different and were cuckoo crazy but in a good way.  Think gypsy punk on too much caffeine.  They are a rather large group which I kinda dig because there are so many different instruments that make up the whole, including an accordion.  Yep.  A nerdy accordion.  Groovy.  So imagine yourself at some east European drunken wedding reception with a loud local street band and you've got it.  I'm looking forward to checking them out.  Just might have to find something new to wear for the occasion.  It will give me a good excuse to buy new clothes.  Maybe something purple.  elizinashe

http://youtu.be/cWYTyfQe-o8

Check them out!

1 comment:

augusta777 said...

Did not like the music
O no